Monday, June 6, 2016

Brinke Stevens Interview (2016)

Hectic Films' own Jesse Najera had a chance to ask the beautiful and talented Brinke Stevens a few questions after she wrapped filming on "Machine Gun Baby".



It feels like you have a strong sense of self-awareness and this comes through in your performances. I understand you originally intended on a career path for science in marine biology. How, would you say, has your upbringing; environment, education, and life adventures shaped the way you perform?

I got a Masters degree in marine biology from Scripps Institute in San Diego CA.  I thought I’d remain in science all my life, but fate had other plans.  I’d never aspired to be an actor, and never expected to become a cult icon of horror movies.  As such, it’s hard to say that my upbringing shaped my performance because horror films require you to do things that never happen in real life, like scream bloody murder, run in terror, chase people with a machete, or get pulled apart by demons.  To quote a line from one of my favorite films, NIGHTMARE SISTERS:  “Advanced trigonometry never prepared me for this!” 

 



You were a member of a comic book club in college while in San Diego. In the early days of Comic-con, you cosplayed Vampirella. The comic book community and the television/film community have a symbiotic relationship. This is most apparent in the type of genre you, typically, perform in {scream Queen/ B movies}. Can you talk about that time and how the comic conventions have influenced you as well as how this comic-con community has influenced the horror genre?

I was one of the early founders of San Diego Comic-Con, and I ran the masquerade contest for many years in the 1970s.  This came after I won first place for portraying Vampirella in 1973.  Later, I staged elaborate costumed dance routines during the intermission to popular songs such as “Funeral for a Friend”, “Killer Queen”, “Ballroom Blitz”, and so on.  I’d say it was Comic-Con and fandom that really prepared me for an acting career that began in the early 1980s.
 



                                                


You've recently completed a project for HECTIC FILMS with the director Rickey Bird, called "Machine Gun Baby". Who are you playing and can you describe your character? 

I play “Dr. Berinka”, who’s the head of a stem cell tech company.  She relies on an abortion clinic to provide fetuses for research of major diseases.  But the clinic’s greedy doctor is now holding her up for more money and threatening to sell his goods elsewhere. 

You've been in many films in the horror genre and worked with very talented people. How did you get involved with HECTIC FILMS? Can you describe your experience with the cast and crew of "Machine Gun Baby”?

In late 2015, I was invited to a horror convention in Bakersfield CA by filmmaker DT Carney, who had hired me for several past projects including “Nightwalkers” and “Dead Things”.  At that show I met Rickey Bird, who had a first-class booth for Hectic Films.  We got to talking, exchanged info, and I ended up shooting “Machine Gun Baby” in April 2016.  

My experience with the cast and crew was perfect in every way.  Producers Rickey and Rachel were very organized, efficient, and just plain nice folks.  I was delighted to work with DT Carney again and also my co-star George the Giant, who was so funny and exuberant.  I was even impressed when Rickey planned a professional photo-shoot at the end, complete with Hectic Films banners in the background.
 


You have been known as an actress who is very welcoming to fans of your work. How can fans learn more about Brinke Stevens? Do you have any future projects or appearances?

My official website is www.brinke.com, where I list my convention appearances and talk about what’s new in my career.  I’ve shot some excellent movies in the past few months, including “The Haunting of Mia Moss”, “An Evil Curiosity”, and the big-budget film “Death House” that features dozens of horror stars.


  
My first audio book, “Darkness Unbound: Lady in Black” is now available on audible.com.  And I’m almost finished recording its sequel “Terror of Night” by author Glenn Porzig.  

Around Halloween 2016, my directorial debut “Personal Demons” will be released on the “Terror Toons 4” label.  I wrote, directed, and starred in it, along with pals Linnea Quigley and Debbie Rochon.










No comments:

Post a Comment